America Saves Week - February 23-28
America Saves Week is coordinated by America Saves and the American Savings Education Council. Started in 2007, the Week is an annual opportunity for organizations to promote good savings behavior and a chance for individuals to assess their own saving status. Typically thousands of organizations participate in the Week, reaching millions of people.
The 2014 Annual National Survey Assessing Household Savings (released during America Saves Week) revealed that while most Americans are meeting immediate financial needs, they are worse off than several years ago.
With more societal encouragement and support, more Americans will be persuaded to Set a Goal. Make a Plan. Save Automatically.
About America Saves
America Saves is a national campaign involving more than 1,000 non-profit, government, and corporate groups that encourages individuals and families to save money and build personal wealth. Overall management for the campaign is provided by the non-profit Consumer Federation of America (CFA). CFA is comprised of over 270 consumer education, advocacy, and cooperative organizations dedicated to advancing the consumer interest.
America Saves Week opportunities
America Saves Week is an opportunity for credit unions to make an impact on their local communities. During the week, credit unions can:
- Offer incentives for people to open or add money to their accounts during the week.
- Establish goals for new accounts opened, new deposits, increased balances, new automatic savings sign-ups, new IRAs, CDs, and other savings and investment opportunities.
- Encourage customers, members, and employees to join America Saves.
Through their participation in America Saves Week, Navy Financial Credit Union reported the following results:
- Offered incentivized savings products, including the Easy Start Certificate Special, during Military Saves Week.
- This one-year term certificate had a low opening balance ($50) and because the certificate maximum is $3,000, it was offered at a very attractive rate of 2.90%.
- At the end of the promotion, 2,699 new certificates with a combined balance of $1,916,099 were opened.
To help credit unions participate and promote America Saves Week, the program offers a toolkit full of marketing materials and resources, including:
- Outreach Ideas
- Flyers, posters and payroll stuffers;
- Logos, web buttons and banners;
- Digital and social media kit;
- QR Codes;
- Sample press release;
- Sample proclamation;
- Sample articles; and
- PowerPoint presentations.
To access these materials, visit the America Saves Week website.
With questions about America Saves Week, contact America Saves by email or at (202) 387-6121.