The Pulse (07-23-14)
July 23, 2014 ● Volume 03, Issue 28
The Pulse Archive
Credit Union News
MnCUN wants you to "Maximize Your Membership!"
The Minnesota Credit Union Network is asking its members – are you getting the most out of your dues dollars? As the association that works to ensure the success, growth and vitality of our member credit unions, MnCUN is keenly focused supporting credit unions and creating the environment that allows for growth.
An overview of of MnCUN’s 2014 strategic initiatives & accomplishments in the first half of the year is available online.
To maximize your MnCUN membership, take a moment to click through the links on the list below to increase your engagement and explore the resources that the Network has to offer.
- COMPLIANCE SUPPORT: The Network website has a wealth of resources and information for credit unions seeking compliance support – including publications, CFPB and other reference guides, the Regulatory Advocacy Report, FAQs, and other special regulatory topics. A members-only benefit, credit unions have easy access to our compliance experts who are available to take questions by email or by phone at (651) 288-5170.
- GOVERNMENTAL AFFAIRS RESOURCES: With the mission of passing policy provisions to strengthen credit unions' charters and to defend credit unions against adverse legislation, MnCUN’s governmental affairs department works to positively position credit unions in the political arena. Explore various resources in this section of the Network website, including talking points, GREAT Action Alerts, bill tracking and session summary documents, and online PAC giving.
- CONSULTING SERVICES: MnCUN offers a variety of consulting services for credit unions. Follow these links for additional information on compliance & audit consulting, strategic & succession planning, business planning, board education or planning sessions.
- EDUCATION & NETWORKING: Check out our online event calendar to explore learning and networking opportunities including conferences, workshops, webinars and roundtables, complete with online registration. MnCUN also offers a young professionals development group called The Crew for staff 35 and under.
- CU AWARENESS & MEDIA OUTREACH EFFORTS: Member credit unions across the state can work with the Network to amplify their message and broaden their reach to consumers, legislators, public opinion leaders, and members of the media. By submitting stories to MnCUN – either via press release or with a paragraph description & picture – credit unions become part of a cycle of news that begins with the MN Credit Union News Channel and includes additional distribution through The Pulse, on state and national social media, in a weekly news digest, and more!
The strength of the credit union movement lies in our unity and our willingness to work cooperatively. The strength that comes from joining together to advocate for the credit union movement and 1.6 million credit union members around the state is immeasurable. Affiliation is key to our success and to the success of the industry. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you!
With questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact any member of the Network staff at any time.
Register now – Leadership events for young professionals offered in August & September
Through the Crew young professionals group, Minnesota Credit Union Network seeks to engage young professionals and provide them with opportunities to grow in their careers. The Crew is open to young professionals of all levels – approximately 35 years of age or below – including those new to the credit union movement or those seeking to establish deeper industry ties.
Two upcoming Crew events focused on career development are highlighted below:
Thursday, Aug. 7 @ 1:3- p.m.-4:30 p.m., St. Paul – Roundtable & Interactive Forum
Join your peers at the Minnesota Credit Union Network office for this unique cooperative roundtable meeting and interactive live webinar forum, designed to help provide ideas and answers. As part of an “Emerging Leaders” webinar series, attendees will participate in the webinar entitled, "Managing for Ultimate Performance: The 6 Building Blocks of Success.” Following the webinar, attendees will have an open forum roundtable session to discuss this and other topics. Participants can submit discussion questions on the registration form. The cost includes an archive webinar link for additional viewing. Prepare your questions and bring any materials and knowledge to share!
Sept. 5-7 – Fall Leadership Conference
The Minnesota Credit Union Network is offering a new opportunity for members of the Crew to Crash the Fall Leadership Conference on Sept. 5-7. This event, held at Madden's Resort in Brainerd, features industry experts providing insight and relevant information on top credit union issues.
MnCUN is offering an exclusive discount Fall Leadership Conference package to Crew members, which includes off-site lodging in Brainerd, meals, recreation, and the ability to participate fully in the conference – at a fraction of the cost. In all, Crew members who register for the Fall Leadership Conference now will receive approximately 60 percent off.
This conference offers the unique opportunity to network with upper management, increase understanding of vendors and industry partners, participate in education sessions, and grow their dedication to the credit union movement.
To learn more about this networking group, visit The Crew page of the Network website. With questions or add your name to the Crew database, contact Crew liaison Laura Whittet by email or at (651) 288-5503.
Dora, Louise, Desjardins award entry deadline is this Friday
Just days remain to submit entries for the annual Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring and Desjardins awards programs. Each Minnesota credit union offers unique programs, products, services and community events. Now is the time to recognize these efforts!
Did your credit union implement an innovative program to help members out of debt? Did you host a community charity event? Did your employees help teach kids or adults financial literacy? Showcase what your credit union has done by submitting an entry by Friday, July 25, for these national award programs.
Go to the National Awards Programs page of the Network website to find forms and submit your entries today! Credit unions are encouraged to enter in one or all of these programs. Winning entries in the statewide competition will advance to the national competition for judging this fall.
Statewide entries must be submitted to the Network office by Friday, July 25. With questions, contact MnCUN Director of Communications Connie Kuhn by email or call (651)288-5527.
Foundation Fridays to raise cash for worthy causes
Credit unions, do not forget about Foundation Fridays this fall! This unique fundraiser helps raise awareness for the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation and its committees – Minnesota Credit Unions for Kids (MnCU4Kids) and the Minnesota Family Involvement Council (FIC).
During October, credit unions can designate one Friday (or several) as a Foundation Friday. On this day, tellers and call center staff will conclude each member interaction by asking for a contribution to help support financial education, college scholarships and Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare. At the end of the series of events, credit unions can forward all donations to the Foundation, to be split evenly between the Foundation general fund, MnCU4Kids and the FIC. It’s that simple!
Below is a brief explanation of the work of the Foundation and its committees.
Minnesota Credit Union Foundation - an organization that provides the resources for credit unions and communities to prosper and thrive. Foundation grants are chiefly focused on financial education and professional development and disaster relief efforts that aid the credit union movement in Minnesota and beyond.
Minnesota Family Involvement Council - works to provide credit unions with financial awareness solutions. The FIC conducts an annual scholarship program, awarding funds to Minnesota credit union members to help advance their college education. This endeavor is made possible through its annual Silent Auction.
Minnesota Credit Unions for Kids - a collaboration of credit unions, chapters, leagues and business partners engaged in fundraising activities to benefit Children’s Miracle Network-affiliate hospitals. All money raised through Minnesota’s Credit Unions for Kids program supports Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, which helps kids with disabilities and chronic conditions. Gillette is based in St. Paul, with clinics located around the state.
Each participating credit union will receive a turnkey toolkit including how-to information, sample press releases, lobby posters and more! To sign up for Foundation Fridays now, send your name, credit union, phone number and email address to the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation.
Business Journal opens nominations for CFO of the Year awards program – nominate today!
The Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal is looking for top-shelf chief financial officers to join the ranks of the Business Journal's CFO of the Year honorees.
The awards, now in their eighth year, honor outstanding financial leaders at Twin Cities companies large and small. CFOs are a crucial part of a company’s leadership team, but they often labor in relative obscurity outside of their offices, and their roles are often misunderstood by outsiders who think CFOs are just number-crunchers.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, Aug. 1.
Learn more about the CEO of the Year award on the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal website.
Chapters hold golf outings in early August – registration open
Over the next month, credit union professionals and volunteers have the opportunity to participate in golf outings hosted by Minnesota chapters of credit unions.
- Aug. 1 – Lakes & Pines Chapter Golf Tournament & Steak Fry
Hoyt Lakes Golf Club, Hoyt Lakes: Tournament will feature a closest to the line contest & closest to the pin contest. Proceeds to support Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare. More Information
- Aug. 4 – Southern Minnesota Credit Union Open
Mississippi National Golf Links, Red Wing: Tournament will feature a hole-in-one contest. More Information
- Aug. 14 – Southwest Minnesota Credit Union Open
Dacotah Ridge Golf Club, Morton: Small roundtable discussions to follow, tickets will be sold throughout the night for a chance to win door prizes. Monies collected will support the Credit Union Volunteer Fund (CUVOL). More Information
For additional information and printable registration forms, visit the Event Calendar on the Network website.
Credit Unions in the News
Follow the links on the stories below to read more about the outstanding programs, new initiatives and well-deserved recognition received by your peers recently. Got news of your own? Send stories, pitches, press releases and published articles to MnCUN Director of Communications Connie Kuhn.
TopLine FCU bike drive benefits St. Paul youth apprenticeship program
Lake State CU holds community “Celebration of Summer”
Central Minnesota CU supports the arts in Melrose
TopLine FCU bike drive benefits St. Paul youth apprenticeship program
Mid-Minnesota FCU helps veterans through Minnesota Action Council for Veterans StandDown events
Why I Love My Credit Union Campaign encourages credit union membership, advocacy
Credit union CEO testifies on behalf of CUNA at House Financial Services Committee hearing
Second Quarter Call Report and Profile submissions due July 25
CFPB issues mini-correspondent lender guidance, RESPA/TILA overview for MLOs
Invest in America makes Sprint credit union member discount simple with app
Credit union members can access Invest in America's exclusive discount offers through this easy-to-use app. Members can save money from companies like GM, Sprint, TurboTax, and Dell.
What the Invest in America app can do:
- Sprint Verification Tool– members that are new or current Sprint customers can validate their credit union membership and start saving with Sprint right away!
- Discount Finder– for members looking to save with Sprint or GM, this lets you find the Sprint store or GM dealership closest to you.
- Credit Union Finder– locate a credit union near you or anywhere in the U.S. with this tool. It also gives you credit union details like location, phone, map and a link to its website.
Plus, you can easily get to LoveMyCreditUnion.org where you can find even more credit union member discounts.
|Pick your phone below:|
Keep Your Sprint Credit Union Member Discount
To ensure the continued integrity of the Sprint Credit Union Member Discount, members must periodically provide documentation to verify credit union membership to keep their discount.
- New Sprint customers are required to verify credit union members within 30 days of activation.
- Current Sprint customers are required to provide proof of credit union membership when upgrading their device if it has been 20+ months since their last validation.
With questions about Invest in America, contact MnCUN Director of Business Development Vickie Ganrude by email or at (651) 288-5515.