Beginning this fall, the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation is introducing Foundation Fridays to raise money and raise awareness for the Foundation and its committees – Minnesota Credit Unions for Kids (MnCU4Kids) and the Minnesota Family Involvement Council (FIC). Contributions made through this collaborative fundraiser will support financial education, college scholarships and the Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare.
During October, credit unions can designate one Friday (or several) as a Foundation Friday. On this day, tellers and call center staff will conclude each member interaction by asking for a contribution.
At the end of October, credit unions can forward all donations to the Foundation, to be split evenly between the Foundation general fund, MnCU4Kids and the FIC. It’s that simple!
- The Minnesota Credit Union Foundation is an organization dedicated to providing the resources for credit unions and communities to prosper and thrive. Foundation grants are focused on financial education, professional development and disaster relief efforts that aid the credit union movement in Minnesota and beyond. (www.mncufoundation.org)
- The Minnesota Family Involvement Council works to enhance the future of the credit union movement by providing financial awareness solutions. The FIC conducts an annual scholarship program, awarding funds to Minnesota credit union members to help advance their college education. This endeavor is made possible through its annual Silent Auction. (www.mnfic.org)
- Minnesota Credit Unions for Kids is a collaboration of credit unions, chapters, leagues and business partners engaged in fundraising activities to benefit Children’s Miracle Network-affiliate hospitals. All money raised through Minnesota’s Credit Unions for Kids program supports Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare, which helps kids with disabilities and chronic conditions. Gillette is based in St. Paul, with clinics located around the state. Credit Unions for Kids is a national program. (www.mncu4kids.org)
To participate in Foundation Fridays at your credit union, please send your name, credit union, phone number and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Small credit union discounts available for Fall Conference
If your credit union has less than $25 million in assets, you are eligible to attend Fall Conference at a discounted price. Take advantage of MnCUN's small credit union discount and the Minnesota Credit Union Foundation grant!
With MnCUN's small credit union discount, employees at credit unions with less than $25 million in assets can attend Fall Conference at a rate of $299, which is a $140 discount from the regular registration cost. Credit unions with less than $25 million in assets and less than $35,000 in net income in 2012 may also qualify for additional assistance from the Foundation. Small credit unions are eligible to receive up to $500 in Foundation grants each year.
Take advantage of these discounts and join the Network for its Fall Conference. This year's event will feature education topics including best practices for Minnesota credit unions, ethics, revenue generation and supervisory committee duties. Attendees will also have several opportunities for networking and recreation, and don’t forget the Saturday banquet and entertainment with Stevie Ray’s improv comedy.
For more information and online registration, visit the Fall Conference page of the Network website. When registering, be sure to check the registration option for "Small CUs.”
Need compliance or audit help? The Network has your solution!
Is your credit union seeking assistance with compliance? Do you need an audit completed? Or perhaps you’re not quite sure what kind of help your credit union needs? The Network’s Compliance & Audit Consultant can help.
MnCUN’s Compliance & Audit Consultant Marcia Armstrong Lewis is a CUNA-certified BSA Compliance Specialist, a certified compliance officer and a Certified Financial Services Auditor. She is able to assist credit unions with any number of compliance and/or audit services, such as:
- Bank Secrecy Act
- Safe Act
- Training, and
- Website reviews.
For a complete list of services and to watch a short overview video of MnCUN’s compliance & audit consulting, visit the Compliance Services page of the Network website. With specific questions or to schedule an appointment, contact Marcia Lewis by email or at (651) 288-5509.
Credit Unions in the News ...
Minnesota credit unions are making headlines every day! Follow the links in the stories below to read more about the outstanding programs, new initiatives and well-deserved recognition received by your peers in recent weeks. Got news of your own? Send stories, pitches, press releases and published articles to MnCUN Director of Communications Connie Kuhn.
- TopLine Federal Credit Union created a new program that puts a spin on the old idea of saving spare change to help members establish emergency savings accounts. Also, in a partnership with the City of Brooklyn Park, TopLine recently received a $294,000 Affordable Housing Program grant from the Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines. Fifty Brooklyn Park households will have the opportunity to make improvements to their homes using these funds … more
- US Federal Credit Union employees participated in a Life Simulation sponsored by the National Credit Union Foundation and National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) to help credit union employees and volunteers understand what it’s like to live in poverty…more
- City & County Credit Union staff raised more than $1,000 in two weeks for Second Harvest Heartland as part of the food bank’s "Food Mania” competition. Credit union employees earned first place in the contest for their efforts … more
ACT NOW! Use social media to spread #DontTaxMyCU message
Senate confirmation last step in Metsger's NCUA nomination
Fed releases training materials on new $100 note
Agencies to host webinar on indirect auto lending
NCUA offers webinar on secondary capital
FinCEN issues ruling on armored car service transactions