As an organization designed to serve and support the needs and interests of credit unions around the state, the Minnesota Credit Union Network works hard on behalf of its members year-round. MnCUN is committed to providing a viable option for membership at an affordable price, while working to ensure the success, growth and vitality of Minnesota credit unions. We do this by creating a positive public environment through leadership, political advocacy, education, awareness and regulatory assistance.
We are acutely aware of the challenges and opportunities credit unions face in today's changing financial environment. With a dedicated, committed and passionate staff, our members can have confidence that the Network is experienced, accessible, informed – and ready to assist in any way possible.
Through our consistent presence and valuable service offerings, MnCUN has maintained an affiliation rating of above 90 percent for more than a decade. We value our members' continued trust in us, and we appreciate the opportunity to be able to serve credit unions throughout the state.
We need you!
The strength of the Minnesota Credit Union Network is our unity and our willingness to work cooperatively. Not only do credit unions help each other as a part of the cooperative movement, but MnCUN also spearheads our industry's advocacy efforts and communicates with a broad base of legislators on behalf of credit unions.
The strength that comes from joining together to advocate for the credit union movement and 1.6 million credit union members around the state is immeasurable. Affiliation is key to our success and to the success of the industry.
We appreciate the opportunity to serve credit unions across the state, working together to meet the present and future challenges. We encourage you to contact us at any time!
Goals & Strategic Objectives
The Minnesota Credit Union Network Board of Directors and staff are regularly engaged in the development of MnCUN's strategic plan. We are keenly focused on creating the environment to help credit unions grow marketshare, and we are tireless advocates of the credit union movement. Our three-year strategic plan grounds our core activities in four overarching goals:
- Create a favorable legislative environment
- Ease the regulatory burden on credit unions
- Increase marketplace awareness of credit unions
- Provide robust product & service offerings to credit unions through strategic partnerships
Specific measurable goals and annual initiatives are derived from these broad goals to maintain our strategic framework and create a shared vision for the association and credit unions throughout the state.
2013 Activities & Accomplishments
Throughout the course of the year, Network staff work hard to accomplish a wide variety of initiatives in accordance with MnCUN’s strategic plan. The list below provides a glimpse into those activities in 2013….
build a powerful grassroots force that will advocate on behalf of Minnesota's credit unions. The GREAT program aims to preserve, protect and strengthen Minnesota's unique, not-for-profit financial institutions.
building a powerful grassroots force to protect & strengthen Minnesota credit unions
- Since May MnCUN, in conjunction with CUNA and state leagues across the country, has been working to encourage credit union advocates to participate in the Don’t Tax My Credit Union campaign, which provides a coordinated platform for credit unions to engage in the tax reform discussion in Congress. The Network is urging credit union staff and volunteers to respond to GREAT Action Alerts and to engage members in this advocacy effort, providing a variety of tools to make credit unions' efforts easy and effective.
- MnCUN continues to develop its network of political advocates through a new Grassroots Coordinators program, which designates a lead contact at each member credit union.
STATE LEGISLATIVE ADVOCACY
shaping the industry's future by creating a favorable legislative environment
Throughout the 2013 Minnesota Legislative Session, MnCUN’s governmental affairs team lobbied elected officials on bills that would impact the credit union industry. (See the 2013 Session Summary for full details.)
MnCUN worked to preserve the credit union tax status and actively engaged in discussions about tax expenditures.
- The Network’s lobbying team halted proposals that would have required credit unions to collect and remit sales tax on services such as ATM fees, loan fees and safe deposit boxes, and prevented credit unions from paying sales taxes on business services such as accounting, legal and marketing services.
- The governmental affairs team helped to pass legislation that extended a program encouraging partnerships between Minnesota State Colleges & Universities and local financial institutions.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS & PUBLIC RELATIONS
increasing awareness of credit unions
disseminating information to credit unions, consumers & the media
To enhance its external reach and the external reach of credit unions, MnCUN refocused its communications department to allocate additional resources in this area. Thus far in 2013, MnCUN has coordinated spokesperson training with member CEOs, met with several newspaper editorial boards around the state, and is working with credit unions to aggregate and share positive stories through the Credit Unions in the News page of the Network website.
The Network continues to refine and enhance its social media strategy, developing a content calendar and increasing the engagement of followers on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
REGULATORY COMPLIANCE & ADVOCACY
helping to ease the regulatory burden on credit unions
MnCUN’s compliance department meets regularly with the Regulatory Review Committee to discuss proposed rules and files comment letters on behalf of credit unions, including the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s credit losses proposal, and the CFPB's proposed amendments on the Ability to Repay Rule.
MnCUN’s compliance department provides consistently reliable compliance support to all member credit unions through phone, email and newsletter, including monthly reminders of upcoming dates and deadlines.
Through the Compliance Services Program, MnCUN staff provide compliance and audit expertise, working on-site with credit unions around the state.
EDUCATION & NETWORKING
providing opportunities for interaction, learning & professional development
Each year, MnCUN coordinates a professional development lineup that includes training on a variety of topics and in various formats. Major events include Annual Meeting, Credit Union Day at the Capitol, Fall Conference and CEO Conference.
Network staff continues to develop The Crew, its professional development & networking group for credit union staff 35 and under.
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
delivering solutions & savings to credit unions
Among the many valuable services provided by the Network, one of the most critical is that of legislative and regulatory advocacy on behalf of all credit unions. The Network keeps us up-to-date on the relevant issues and provides a strong and unified voice for us that none of us could ever accomplish on our own.
Bill Raker, President/CEO
US Federal Credit Union
With today’s economy being so unpredictable, it is reassuring to have the support of MnCUN working on behalf Minnesota’s credit unions and acting as a political advocate for us. We truly benefit from being a member of a network of credit unions to partner and share ideas in order to help our credit union remain strong and achieve success.
Jim Carrier, President
Employees First Credit Union
Why do I belong to the Minnesota Credit Union Network?
- I belong to the Network because it facilitates my ability to network with other credit union professionals in the state through various network events and functions. This networking creates an invaluable support structure for me as President/CEO. Through their newsletters and emails they also keep me informed about what is happening at other credit unions.
- I belong to the Network because they help my credit union stay abreast of pending compliance issues. They are always available to answer our questions as we are implementing new rules and regulations. They are subject matter experts.
- I belong to the Network because they keep me abreast of legislative issues at both the state and federal level. They have established working relationships with our elected officials so that they are in a position to influence elected officials about issues pertaining to credit unions.
Kelly McDonough, President/CEO
First Alliance Credit Union
The Three-Tiered System: MnCUN, Credit Unions & CUNA
As a member of the Minnesota Credit Union Network, you are also a member of CUNA, the Credit Union National Association. This three-tiered system – which brings together CUNA, the state Networks/Leagues, and credit unions – is the most effective advocacy engine for the credit union movement, supporting 92 million credit union members nationwide. See the documents below for information on CUNA and its various activities and accomplishments.