As an organization designed to serve and support the needs and interests of credit unions around the state, the Minnesota Credit Union Network works hard on behalf of its members year-round. MnCUN is committed to providing a viable option for membership at an affordable price, while working to ensure the success, growth and vitality of Minnesota credit unions. We do this by creating a positive public environment through leadership, political advocacy, education, awareness and regulatory assistance.
We are acutely aware of the challenges and opportunities credit unions face in today's changing financial environment. With a dedicated, committed and passionate staff, our members can have confidence that the Network is experienced, accessible, informed – and ready to assist in any way possible.
Through our consistent presence and valuable service offerings, MnCUN has maintained an affiliation rating of above 90 percent for more than a decade. We value our members' continued trust in us, and we appreciate the opportunity to be able to serve credit unions throughout the state.
Affinity Plus belongs to the Network because it is important for all credit unions to have a voice and be represented. A voice so that Minnesota's credit unions can continue with the success we have experienced in growing members and being relevant in the financial services industry. The Network is a professional organization that tirelessly represents the best interests of its member credit unions.
– Kyle Markland, Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union
In my 27 years in the credit union industry, I have always found the Minnesota Credit Union Network's services to be of great value. Our credit union values the legislative efforts they perform on our behalf, and the fact that they keep us informed of potential regulatory issues and other issues that may affect the long-term viability of credit unions as an industry.
– Scott Lundgren, Hermantown Federal Credit Union
The networking opportunities and educational sessions offered by the Minnesota Credit Union Network are very valuable. Information is provided in a cost-effective manner for smaller credit unions, and MnCUN utilizes today's technology to allow for virtual training options. I also appreciate the compliance staff who help us stay up-to-date with the changing regulations and laws. Their knowledge and guidance alone are worth the cost of our dues.
– Terri Maloney, Catholic United Financial Credit Union
MnCUN’s most important role is providing legislative leadership and guidance at both the state and federal levels. The Network monitors legislative activity and spearheads efforts to ensure credit union-friendly concerns are part of the discussion. Collaborating efforts from all credit unions to speak as one is critical, and the Network does an outstanding job in giving us the resources we need to ensure our message is heard.
MnCUN also provides a forum for sharing information with others, and opportunities to network and strengthen our industry connections. From awareness to education, compliance and more, MnCUN works hard to ensure credit unions remain a viable alternative for consumers.
– Brian Sherrick, Postal Credit Union
Goals & Strategic Objectives
The Minnesota Credit Union Network Board of Directors and staff are regularly engaged in the development of MnCUN's strategic plan. We are keenly focused on helping credit unions grow marketshare and are tireless advocates of the credit union movement. Our three-year strategic plan grounds our core activities in four overarching goals:
- Create a favorable legislative environment
- Ease the regulatory burden on credit unions
- Increase marketplace awareness of credit unions
- Provide robust product & service offerings to credit unions through strategic partnerships
Specific measurable goals and annual initiatives are derived from these broad goals to maintain our strategic framework and create a shared vision for the association and credit unions throughout the state.
With MnCUN's strategic goals in mind, the list below provides a glimpse into our activities and accomplishments for 2012. Click here to view the full list and related links.
Legislative Advocacy – shaping the industry's future by creating a favorable legislative environment
- engaged in lobbying at the State Capitol and in Washington, D.C., to pass policy provisions to strengthen the credit union charter and defend against adverse legislation
- worked with U.S. Senator Al Franken to co-sponsor credit union member business lending legislation (S. 2231)
- Amendeda state-level bill (H.F. 2174) to allow Minnesota credit unions equal opportunity to accept deposits from public entities
Compliance Support – helping to ease the regulatory burden on credit unions
- operated a compliance resource center, fielding credit union compliance inquiries by phone and email
- added the Compliance & Audit Services program to offer compliance and audit assistance to credit unions
Regulatory Advocacy – monitoring regulatory activity & deepening key relationships
- submitted comment letters to NCUA on proposed rules on loan participations, emergency liquidity, and the definition of "troubled condition”
- filed an amicus brief with the Minnesota Supreme Court to protect credit unions during the foreclosure process
Communications – disseminating information to credit unions & consumers
- launched a consumer-focused campaign, Bankziety, to increase awareness of credit unions among young adults
- collaborated with the Filene Research Institute to provide data and recommendations to credit unions for attracting Gen Y consumers
Education & Networking – providing opportunities for interaction and development
- provided education for 101 credit unions through 116 live and virtual training offerings
- fostered networking and collaboration through the coordination of 19 department-specific roundtable meetings
Products & Services – delivering solutions & savings to credit unions
- established a fee-based Compliance & Audit Services program to offer in-house assistance to credit unions
- built four new strategic partnerships with leading industry providers
As a member of the Minnesota Credit Union Network, you are also a member of CUNA, the Credit Union National Association. This three-tiered system – which brings together CUNA, the state Networks/Leagues, and credit unions – is the most effective advocacy engine for the credit union movement, supporting 92 million credit union members nationwide. See the documents below for information on CUNA and its various activities and accomplishments.
We need you!
The strength of the Minnesota Credit Union Network is our unity and our willingness to work cooperatively. Not only do credit unions help each other as a part of the cooperative movement, but MnCUN also spearheads our industry's advocacy efforts and communicates with a broad base of legislators on behalf of credit unions.
The strength that comes from joining together to advocate for the credit union movement and 1.5 million credit union members around the state is immeasurable. Affiliation is key to our success and to the success of the industry.
We appreciate the opportunity to serve credit unions across the state, working together to meet the present and future challenges. We encourage you to contact us at any time!