Thank you for your interest in the Minnesota Credit Union Family Involvement Council scholarship.
The 2017 scholarship application period has ended. Applications will be judged in March. Winners will be notified after a validation is performed at individual credit unions. Winners must be a member of a state-affiliated credit union in good standing. Non-winners will not be notified.
Please contact FIC chair Bridget Petersen, firstname.lastname@example.org, with additional questions.
Credit unions are not-for-profit financial cooperatives. Unlike most other financial institutions, credit unions do not issue stock or pay dividends to outside stockholders. Instead, earnings are returned to members like you in the form of lower loan rates, higher interest on deposits, and lower fees.
- October to February 1 – Essays and applications accepted
- February 1 – Scholarship submission deadline for online.
- February to March – FIC Committee reads and evaluates scholarship essays
- Mid-March – Final scholarship essay read and scoring
- Late March to April – Announce winners
Scholarship applicants must be one of the following type of students:
- traditional: current high school student graduating in 2016
- traditional: PSEO (high school students utilizing post-secondary education option but not graduation in 2016)
- non-traditional: post high school student or those returning to post-secondary after some time off
In addition, scholarship applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- enrolled or plan to attend an accredited, non-profit educational institution in an undergraduate or graduate program (both master and doctorate). Awards will not be disbursed until the student is accepted and enrolled in an accredited institution.
- enrolled in at least one course at the accredited school during the scholarship application time frame.
- must be a credit union member in good standing (as determined by your credit union) affiliated with the Minnesota Credit Union Network
- information provided on the application must be accurate and solely the authentic work of the applicant.
- financial need is not considered in the selection of the scholarship recipients.
- immediate family and household members of the Minnesota Family Involvement Council are not eligible to enter.
- applicants will be asked to approve that their names, words and/or photos can be used in various media to promote the credit union scholarship program
APPLICATION & ESSAY SUBMISSION GUIDELINESSubmit a 500-word essay answering the essay question for this scholarship period. The essay should not exceed 500 words. Transcripts and letters of recommendation will not be considered. Do not use your name or the name of your credit union in your essay or on the essay page. Essays that include your name or the name of your credit union will be automatically disqualified. Spelling, grammar and creativity will be considered.
DISTRIBUTION OF SCHOLARSHIP FUNDS
Applications will be judged in March, and award winners will receive their scholarship money after completing the first semester of the following school year. Scholarship funds will be distributed after a transcript from the completed semester and proof of registration for the following semester is provided. Students must be enrolled in at least one course at an accredited institution to be eligible. Please include:
- NAME AND ADDRESS OF SCHOOL
- YOUR HOME ADDRESS
- YOUR PHONE AND EMAIL
Scholarship money will then be provided to the recipient in the form of a check payable to the student and the school. All scholarships must be claimed by May 31.
PAST SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS
Emma Mogard, Central Minnesota Credit Union
Sarah Bediako, Firefly Credit Union
Julia Braulick, Firefly Credit Union
Anne Kopas, Firefly Credit Union
Kelly Besst, Electrus Federal Credit Union
Emeline Brudwick, First Alliance Credit Union
Jacob Souhrada, Mayo Employees Federal Credit Union
Jared Joyal, Richfield Bloomington Credit Union
Kaitlyn Seres, Richfield Bloomington Credit Union
Caleb Joyal, Richfield Bloomington Credit Union
Harley Braun, SouthPoint Financial Credit Union
Mitchell Carlson, SPIRE Credit Union
Wesley Heal, TopLine Federal Credit Union
Amber Ferguson, TopLine Federal Credit Union
Patrick Clark, Wings Financial Credit Union
Riley Swenson, Wings Financial Credit Union
Nathaniel Landin, Wings Financial Credit Union
Rebecca Bjorke, Topline Federal Credit Union
Annie Sun, Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union
Amy Kempf, Topline Federal Credit Union
Amber Hillesheim, SouthPoint Federal Credit Union
Jacob Gangelhoff, SouthPoint Federal Credit Union
Abigail Teschendorf, Heartland Credit Union
Cabrini Winkels, Mill City Credit Union
Nathaniel Anderson, US Federal Credit Union
Adam Ellingson, Mayo Employees Federal Credit Union
Ellen Kneeskern, City & County Credit Union
Megan Russell, Electrus Federal Credit Union
Justin Thompson, Richfield Bloomington Credit Union
Adam Ernst, Hiway Federal Credit Union
Rebekah Nowak, Wings Financial Credit Union
Leland Wright, TopLine Federal Credit Union