Nominations will open June 1 with a deadline of June 31. Statewide award winners are announced in August or September. Winning state entries advance to compete nationally, with national results typically available in late November to early December. National award recipients will be recognized at the 2018 CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference February 25 to March 1.
See the Maxwell/Herring/Desjardins Award differentiation chart for examples of activities eligible for each award program.
AWARD SUBMISSIONS AND INFORMATION
Complete award information available on the CUNA Awards Programs Page.
Links to the individual award applications are below. Those who enter will compete with other credit unions in the same asset category. Credit unions may enter one or all of the awards programs.
- Louise Herring Award for Philosophy-in-Action – focuses on the internal programs and services of a credit union. Credit unions who received the award have demonstrated the practical application of the credit union philosophy within the actual operations of the credit union.
- Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards – recognizes the leadership of individual credit unions and chapters on behalf of youth and adult financial education. Activities eligible for consideration include those that raise awareness and marshal resources on behalf of financial literacy.
2016 Minnesota award-winners:
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
- Less than $50 million: Star Choice Credit Union for the Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People (VEAP) Partnership
- $50-$250 million: Northwoods Credit Union for the Rooted in Community fundraising program
- $250-$1 billion: SPIRE Credit Union for the SPIRE Give Back Team
- $1+ billion: Firefly Credit Union for the Secure Your ID Day Shred Event
Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award
- Less than $50 million: Star Choice Credit Union for their “Building Strong Financial Futures” philosophy
- $50-$250 million: Northwoods Credit Union for their 2nd Chance Lending Program
- $250 million-$1 billion: Topline Federal Credit Union for their LSS Financial Counseling Partnership
- $1+ billion: Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union for Helping Members Save Millions through Data Analysis and Outreach
Desjardins Youth Fnancial Education Award
- Less than $50 million: North Star Credit Union for the Academic Journey Partnership
- $50-$250 million: United Educators Credit Union for teaching personal finance at Red Lake High School
- $250-$1 billion: Ideal Credit Union for the Money Talks Peer-to-Peer program
- $1+ billion: Wings Financial Credit Union for the Wings Reality Fair
Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- $50-$250 million: United Educators Credit Union for financial literacy efforts with senior citizens and young adults with disabilities
- $250-$1 billion: SPIRE Credit Union for the Building Financial Freedom Adult Financial Education Outreach program
- $1+ billion: Firefly Credit Union for their Learn at Work program
With questions, contact MnCUN Communications Specialist
Laura Whittet by email or by phone at 651-288-5503.