Through various programs, products and services, Minnesota credit unions distinguish themselves as not-for-profit cooperatives dedicated to serving their members and communities. The Minnesota Credit Union Network and CUNA are pleased to sponsor the annual Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring and Desjardins recognition programs for credit unions to tout the differences they've made through their unique programs, services and activities.
2016 Minnesota award-winners:
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
- Less than $50 million: Star Choice Credit Union for the Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People (VEAP) Partnership
- $50-$250 million: Northwoods Credit Union for the Rooted in Community fundraising program
- $250-$1 billion: SPIRE Credit Union for the SPIRE Give Back Team
- $1+ billion: Firefly Credit Union for the Secure Your ID Day Shred Event
Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award
- Less than $50 million: Star Choice Credit Union for their “Building Strong Financial Futures” philosophy
- $50-$250 million: Northwoods Credit Union for their 2nd Chance Lending Program
- $250 million-$1 billion: Topline Federal Credit Union for their LSS Financial Counseling Partnership
- $1+ billion: Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union for Helping Members Save Millions through Data Analysis and Outreach
Desjardins Youth Fnancial Education Award
- Less than $50 million: North Star Credit Union for the Academic Journey Partnership
- $50-$250 million: United Educators Credit Union for teaching personal finance at Red Lake High School
- $250-$1 billion: Ideal Credit Union for the Money Talks Peer-to-Peer program
- $1+ billion: Wings Financial Credit Union for the Wings Reality Fair
Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- $50-$250 million: United Educators Credit Union for financial literacy efforts with senior citizens and young adults with disabilities
- $250-$1 billion: SPIRE Credit Union for the Building Financial Freedom Adult Financial Education Outreach program
- $1+ billion: Firefly Credit Union for their Learn at Work program
Award Submissions and Information
Complete award information, including FAQs, is on the Minnesota online entry information page. Links to the individual award applications are below. Those who enter will compete with other credit unions in the same asset category. Credit unions may enter one or all of the awards programs.
- Louise Herring Award for Philosophy-in-Action – focuses on the internal programs and services of a credit union. Credit unions who received the award have demonstrated the practical application of the credit union philosophy within the actual operations of the credit union.
- Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards – recognizes the leadership of individual credit unions and chapters on behalf of youth and adult financial education. Activities eligible for consideration include those that raise awareness and marshal resources on behalf of financial literacy.
Statewide entries were judged in July, and winners will advance to the national competition for judging in August. Winning state entries advance to compete nationally, with national results typically available in late November to early December. National award recipients are recognized at the next CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference.
With questions about the awards programs, contact MnCUN Director of Communications Andrea Molnau by email or at (651) 288-5527.