14 Minn. credit unions win awards; advance to national competitions
Monday, August 14, 2017
ST. PAUL, Minn. (August 14, 2017) - The Minnesota Credit Union Network (MnCUN) is pleased to announce the state-level winners of the 2017 Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring, and Desjardins award competitions. These awards are sponsored each year by MnCUN and the Credit Union National Association (CUNA).
The 2017 Minnesota award-winners in the asset categories noted are:
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
- $50-$250 Million: Financial One Credit Union – 3 Essentials Giving Program
- $250-$1 Billion: Ideal Credit Union – Minnesota Brain Tumor 5K
- $1+ Billion: Hiway Federal Credit Union – Wild About Our Community!
Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award
- Less than $50 Million: NorthRidge Community Credit Union – Relationship Lending
- $50-$250 Million: Star Choice Credit Union – Build it! Certificate
- $250 Million-$1 Billion: TopLine Federal Credit Union – Sum-It-Up Savings
- $1+ Billion: Firefly Credit Union – Member Value Statement
Desjardins Youth Financial Education Award
- Less than $50 Million: North Star Credit Union – Youth Political Advocacy Program
- $50-$250 Million: United Educators Credit Union – Expanding Financial Literacy in Schools
- $250-$1 Billion: SPIRE Credit Union – SPIRE & Elk River High School DECA: Future Finance Academy
- $1+ Billion: Firefly Credit Union – Burnsville High School Collaboration
Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- $50-$250 Million: United Educators Credit Union – Financial Literacy for Adults
- $250-$1 Billion: SPIRE Credit Union – Building Financial Freedom
- $1+ Billion: Firefly Credit Union – Redefining Employee Education
MnCUN received 40 award entries this year, and they were judged by the Credit Union Association of the Dakotas to ensure unbiased results. The winners in each award category now advance to CUNA’s national contest where they will compete with credit unions across the country, with judging to take place this fall.
“The Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring, and Desjardins statewide award winners are remarkable example of the people helping people credit union philosophy,” MnCUN President & CEO Mark Cummins. “We applaud them for the work that they do to improve their members’ financial well being and communities as a whole.”
The Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award was created in 1987 and recognizes credit unions for the activities they coordinate that benefit the community or a specific charity. This award promotes social responsibility among credit unions by formally recognizing their achievements outside the credit union.
The Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award is given to a credit union for its practical application of the "people helping people” philosophy in internal operations. Created in 1990, this award promotes the credit union philosophy by formally recognizing credit unions that demonstrate in an extraordinary way the application of the movement's principles in serving their members.
The Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards formally recognize the leadership of individual credit unions and chapters in their efforts to better educate youth and adults in financial literacy.
The Minnesota Credit Union Network is the statewide trade association that works to ensure the success, growth and vitality of Minnesota credit unions. With nearly $20 billion in assets, Minnesota credit unions are local, trusted financial cooperatives that serve more than 1.7 million members at almost 400 branch locations around the state. As not-for-profit institutions, credit unions give back to the communities they serve. For more information, visit www.mncun.org.