Affinity Plus Foundation announces winners of 2018-2019 Campus Scholarship
Friday, January 18, 2019
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union - ST. PAUL, Minn. (Jan. 17, 2019) – The Affinity Plus Foundation has awarded 10 annual Campus Scholarships to students at six Minnesota state universities and students at four state community and technical colleges. The Foundation’s Campus Scholarship provides support to Affinity Plus members in the campus communities that the credit union serves across Minnesota. Those universities include:
- Bemidji State University;
- Minnesota State University – Mankato;
- Minnesota State University – Moorhead;
- St. Cloud State University;
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities; and
- Winona State University.
Four additional awards are given in an “at large” category to Affinity Plus members enrolled part- or full-time and in good academic standing at any accredited community or technical college in Minnesota.
“Affinity Plus is proud to have such a strong presence on college campuses across Minnesota and to provide students with much-needed, real-world education,” said Foundation Board Chair Kristina Wright, Affinity Plus Senior Vice President. “The Foundation is proud to support members who are pursuing higher education.”
Affinity Plus has branches on or near several college and university campuses, and credit union staff often partner with instructors and student-services offices to provide financial education to students. Both the credit union and Foundation also engage with community and technical colleges across the state with financial education and other outreach.
STUDENTS SHARE PERSPECTIVES
Scholarship recipients shared a strong desire to keep debt at a manageable level, develop good savings habits, and prepare for the future – all ways in which Affinity Plus supports its members.
“Upon seeing an advisor at Affinity Plus, they were able to give me insight on how to build my credit, as well as different ways of trying as much as possible to stay out of debt,” scholarship recipient Emmanuel said.
Priyanka from Minnesota State University – Moorhead agreed. “A bright future is something that every college student aspires for,” she said. “With classes, assignments, social life and work, students usually forget the most important thing: Finances.”
Here is a full list of all ten scholarship recipients:
- Alyssa, from Coleraine, Incoming Freshman at Northwest Technical College
- Bernadette, from St. Cloud, Junior at St. Cloud State University majoring in Nursing/Human Relations
- Crystal, from Laporte, Junior at Bemidji State University majoring in Environmental Studies with an Ecosystem emphasis
- Emmanuel, from Woodbury, Sophomore at Inver Hills Community College majoring in Computer Science
- Grace, from North Mankato, Sophomore at Winona State University majoring Composite Materials Engineer
- James, from Detroit Lakes, Freshman at Minnesota State Community & Technical College majoring in Architectural Drafting and Design
- Kimberly, from St. Cloud, Freshman at St. Cloud Community & Technical College majoring in Pre-Dentistry
- Kyle, from North Mankato, Freshman at Minnesota State University – Mankato majoring in Business
- Molly, from St. Paul, Junior at University of Minnesota - Twin Cities majoring in Urban Studies and Interdisciplinary Design
- Priyanka, from Moorhead, Senior at Minnesota State University – Moorhead majoring in Computer Science
ABOUT THE AFFINITY PLUS FOUNDATION
The Affinity Plus Foundation is a 501(c)(3) serving Minnesota communities. Established in 2000 by Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union, the Foundation’s mission is to engage, educate and empower individuals and communities. Additional information is available at www.affinityplusfoundation.org.
ABOUT AFFINITY PLUS
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union is a not-for-profit, financial cooperative that puts people first above profits. Members of Affinity Plus receive maximum value through competitive rates, minimal fees, and unique, member-centric products and programs. Established in 1930, Affinity Plus has 28 branches located throughout Minnesota and is owned by more than 195,000 members. Affinity Plus has over $2 billion in assets. Additional information is available at affinityplus.org.