Minn. Credit Unions Win Awards, Advance to National Competitions
Wednesday, August 7, 2019
ST. PAUL, Minn. – The Minnesota Credit Union Network (MnCUN) is pleased to announce the state-level winners of the 2019 Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring and Desjardins award competitions. These awards are sponsored each year by MnCUN and the Credit Union National Association (CUNA).
The 2019 Minnesota award-winners in the asset categories noted are:
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
- $50 - 250 million in assets: Northwoods Credit Union - Together We Can do Great Things
- $250 million - $1 billion in assets: TopLine Federal Credit Union - Book & School Supply Drive
- More than $1 billion in assets: Hiway Federal Credit Union - Foundation Annual Fundraising Event
Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award
- $50 - 250 million in assets: NorthRidge Community Credit Union - Integrated Financial Counseling
- $250 million - $1 billion in assets: City & County Credit Union - Financial Fitness Challenge
- More than $1 billion in assets: Hiway Federal Credit Union - Hiway GPS
Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- $50 - 250 million in assets: HomeTown Credit Union - Community Education Coordinator
- $250 million - $1 billion in assets: TopLine Federal Credit Union - LSS Debt Management
- More than $1 billion in assets: SPIRE Credit Union - Building Financial Freedom for Adults
Desjardins Youth Financial Education Award
- $50 - 250 million in assets: North Star Credit Union - Spartan Pride
- $250 million - $1 billion in assets: TopLine Federal Credit Union - Wayzata Compass Program
- More than $1 billion in assets: SPIRE Credit Union - Building Financial Freedom for Youth
MnCUN received 27 award entries this year, and they were judged by the Credit Union Association of the Dakotas to ensure unbiased results. The winners in each award category now advance to CUNA’s national contest where they will compete with credit unions across the country, with judging to take place this fall.
“The Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring, and Desjardins statewide award winners illustrate how credit unions live the “people helping philosophy” every day,” MnCUN President & CEO Mark Cummins. “We are proud of the work that they do to improve their members’ financial well-being and communities as a whole.”
The Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award was created in 1987 and recognizes credit unions for the activities they coordinate that benefit the community or a specific charity. This award promotes social responsibility among credit unions by formally recognizing their achievements outside the credit union.
The Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award is given to a credit union for its practical application of the "people helping people” philosophy in internal operations. Created in 1990, this award promotes the credit union philosophy by formally recognizing credit unions that demonstrate in an extraordinary way the application of the movement's principles in serving their members.
The Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards formally recognize the leadership of individual credit unions and chapters in their efforts to better educate youth and adults in financial literacy.
The Minnesota Credit Union Network is the statewide trade association that works to ensure the success, growth and vitality of Minnesota credit unions. With nearly $20 billion in assets, Minnesota credit unions are local, trusted financial cooperatives that serve more than 1.7 million members at almost 400 branch locations around the state. As not-for-profit institutions, credit unions give back to the communities they serve. For more information, visit www.mncun.org.