10 Minn. Credit Unions Win Awards, Advance to National Competitions
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
Minnesota Credit Union Network - ST. PAUL, Minn. (August 16, 2016) - The Minnesota Credit Union Network (MnCUN) is pleased to announce the state-level winners of the 2016 Dora Maxwell, Louise Herring and Desjardins award competitions. These awards are sponsored each year by MnCUN and the Credit Union National Association (CUNA).
The 2016 Minnesota award-winners in the asset categories noted are:
Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award
- Less than $50 million: Star Choice Credit Union for the Volunteers Enlisted to Assist People (VEAP) Partnership
- $50-$250 million: Northwoods Credit Union for the Rooted in Community fundraising program
- $250-$1 billion: SPIRE Credit Union for the SPIRE Give Back Team
- $1+ billion: Firefly Credit Union for the Secure Your ID Day Shred Event
Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award
- Less than $50 million: Star Choice Credit Union for their “Building Strong Financial Futures” philosophy
- $50-$250 million: Northwoods Credit Union for their 2nd Chance Lending Program
- $250 million-$1 billion: Topline Federal Credit Union for their LSS Financial Counseling Partnership
- $1+ billion: Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union for Helping Members Save Millions through Data Analysis and Outreach
Desjardins Youth Fnancial Education Award
- Less than $50 million: North Star Credit Union for the Academic Journey Partnership
- $50-$250 million: United Educators Credit Union for teaching personal finance at Red Lake High School
- $250-$1 billion: Ideal Credit Union for the Money Talks Peer-to-Peer program
- $1+ billion: Wings Financial Credit Union for the Wings Reality Fair
Desjardins Adult Financial Education Award
- $50-$250 million: United Educators Credit Union for financial literacy efforts with senior citizens and young adults with disabilities
- $250-$1 billion: SPIRE Credit Union for the Building Financial Freedom Adult Financial Education Outreach program
- $1+ billion: Firefly Credit Union for their Learn at Work program
MnCUN received 37 award entries this year, and they were judged by the Credit Union Association of the Dakotas to ensure unbiased results. The winners in each award category now advance to CUNA’s national contest where they will compete with credit unions across the country, with judging to take place this fall.
"This year’s award-winners demonstrated creativity and commitment to the values credit unions hold dear – financial education, service to community, and extraordinary member service,” said MnCUN President & CEO Mark Cummins. “Each of these credit unions deserves recognition, and we are proud they represent Minnesota in the national competition.”
The Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Community Service Award was created in 1987 and recognizes credit unions for the activities they coordinate that benefit the community or a specific charity. This award promotes social responsibility among credit unions by formally recognizing their achievements outside the credit union.
The Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award is given to a credit union for its practical application of the "people helping people” philosophy in internal operations. Created in 1990, this award promotes the credit union philosophy by formally recognizing credit unions that demonstrate in an extraordinary way the application of the movement's principles in serving their members.
The Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards formally recognize the leadership of individual credit unions and chapters in their efforts to better educate youth and adults in financial literacy.