The Minnesota Credit Union Network Awards Committee facilitates statewide and national awards programs and judges entries. On the national level, the committee coordinates Minnesota’s entries for CUNA’s Dora Maxwell and Louise Herring Awards and the Desjardins Award for Financial Education.
On the state level, the committee recognizes individuals and organizations through the Professional and Volunteer of the Year Awards.
Statewide award winners are announced in August or September. Winning state entries advance to compete nationally, with national results typically available in late November to early December. National award recipients will be recognized at the 2018 CUNA Governmental Affairs Conference February 25 to March 1.
- Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award - recognizes credit unions that promote social responsibility. The focus of the award is to draw attention to external credit union projects and activities that benefit the community.
- Louise Herring Award for Philosophy in Action - focuses on the internal programs and services of a credit union. Credit unions who received the award have demonstrated the practical application of the credit union philosophy within the actual operations of the credit union.
- Desjardins Youth and Adult Financial Education Awards - recognize the leadership of individual credit unions and chapters on behalf of youth and adult financial education. Activities eligible for consideration include those that raise awareness and marshal resources on behalf of financial literacy.
Timeline: The call for nominations for the following awards typically takes place in January with a February deadline. The awards are presented at the MnCUN Annual Meeting in April.
- Outstanding Professional of the Year Award - This award is given annually to recognize the noble service of one outstanding credit union professional who has selflessly given time, effort and talent to the support and promotion of the credit union ideal and the betterment of credit unions in Minnesota. View the 2017 Professional of the Year
- Outstanding Volunteer of the Year Award - This award is given annually recognize the noble service of one outstanding credit union volunteer who best exemplifies the credit union spirit through dedication to, and belief in, the credit union movement. View the 2017 Volunteer of the Year
- Simon Hellermann Award - This award, given once every three years, recognizes demonstrated excellence in credit union philanthropy and contributions to the credit union movement in Minnesota. This award – established in 1999 as a tribute to Minnesota credit union philanthropist Simon Hellermann – recognizes an outstanding contribution to a humanitarian cause and also promotes credit union philanthropy, service and loyalty. Individuals, credit unions, chapters and affinity groups are eligible to receive this award.
Randy Willert, Chair
Two Harbors FCU
United Educators CU
Fulda Area CU
Soo Line CU
TruStone Financial FCU
Financial One CU
Associated Healthcare CU
NorthRidge Community CU
Central MN CU
West Financial CU
With questions, contact MnCUN Communications Specialist
Laura Whittet by email or by phone at 651-288-5503.