Volume 7, Issue 22.5
Local Networking, Training Opportunities Available
New in 2018, the Summer Series is an extended version of the Minnesota Credit Union Network Peer-to-Peer (P2P) education sessions, held regionally throughout the state. Each event will offer a Marketing & Business Development P2P, Compliance or Operations P2P, and a Network Update offering information about current and new initiatives for Minnesota Credit Unions.
Regional Summer Series dates and locations:
Each Summer Series session will follow the schedule below:
- 9:30-11 a.m. - Marketing & Business Development P2P Session
- 11:30-1 p.m. - Network Luncheon and Networking
- 1:30-3 p.m. - Compliance or Operations P2P Session
Additional events in the in the North Red River Valley and Lakes & Pines areas will be announced in the coming weeks.
Employees are invites to attend one or multiple session throughout the day. With questions, contact MnCUN Director of Engagement Ben Hering by email or by phone at 651-288-5519.
SAVE THE DATE: 2018 FALL LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
The Minnesota Credit Union Network invites credit union professionals to its annual Fall Leadership Conference September 7 through 9 at Madden's Resort in Brainerd. The conference will feature a credit union industry exhibit hall, education sessions, entertainment, and networking opportunities.
Full event details and registration will be made available closer to the event date. With questions about the conference, please contact MnCUN Director of Engagement Ben Hering by email or by phone at 651-288-5519.
Follow the links on the stories below to read more about the outstanding programs, new initiatives and well-deserved recognition received by your peers recently. Got news of your own? Send stories, pitches, press releases and published articles to MnCUN Director of Communications Laura Whittet.
Upcoming Professional Development Opportunities
Below is a summary of the Minnesota Credit Union Network's June educational sessions. Browse the listings below and click the links for more detailed information and online registration.
P2P & In Person Events
- Thursday, June 7 - Forgeries, Counterfeits, Fraudulent EFTs & More: Who is Liable?
- Tuesday, June 12 - Overdraft Disclosure Requirements: Regulations, UDAAP & Legal Risks
- Wednesday, June 13 - Beginning IT Officer Training
- Thursday, June 14 - Understanding Employee Leave Policies
- Monday, June 18 - Understanding the Procedural Differences Between Substitute Checks, Reg CC Effective July
- Tuesday, June 19 - Safe Deposit Issues: Drilling, Unpaid Rent, Death & Unclaimed Property
- Wednesday, June 20 - Reg E Requirements for Debit Card Error Resolution: Processing, Disclosure & Investigation
- Thursday, June 21 - Advertising Compliance for Electronic, Website, TV & Radio Promotions
- Tuesday, June 26 - Notary Essentials, Legalities & Best Practices
- Wednesday, June 27 - Opening Trust Accounts: Compliance, Documentation, Signing Authority & Deposit Insurance I
- Thursday, June 28 - Maximizing Social Networking Platforms: Trends, Opportunities & Best Practices
Look for a complete schedule on the Event Calendar section of the Network website.
Affinity Plus Federal, Heartland Credit Unions Recognize CU Builders
The Minnesota Credit Foundation is proud to recognize three individuals as Credit Union Builders. Created in 2008, the Credit Union Builder Award honors an individual’s dedication to the success, growth, and vitality of the not-for-profit financial movement in Minnesota. Dedications are typically made at a special time of significance to acknowledge an individual’s contributions to credit unions.
Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union honored two retired volunteers – Gary Denault and Bill Halloran.
Gary Denault was a member of the Affinity Plus Board of Directors for 44 years – including five years as board Chair – and retired from his volunteer service in 2017. Gary worked in Minnesota State government for 20 years as a professional, supervisor, and manager. Gary was appreciated for his dedication and commitment to the financial health and stability of the credit union. He was known for his pursuit of fairness and integrity, and he made a lasting contribution to Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union through his experience and leadership.
Bill Halloran was a dedicated volunteer who served on the Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union Supervisory Committee for nearly 12 years. Bill was a volunteer from 2006 to 2018, with nearly half of this time spent serving as the chair of the Supervisory Committee, before retiring from his volunteer service in 2018. During his time on the Supervisory Committee, Bill used his extensive accounting and finance background to provide oversight and guidance as the Credit Union’s transformed its operating model, advanced its ALM capabilities, developed its Risk Management program and strengthened its financial and internal audit functions.
Heartland Credit Union honored Randy Nelson as a Credit Union Builder on the occasion of his retirement from their Board of Directors. Randy served on the Heartland Board for 20 years. During his tenure, the credit union grew $66 million dollars in assets under his leadership. He is truly a credit union advocate.
In total, 58 individuals have been designated as Credit Union Builders over the past nine years. The names of the recipients and the contributing credit unions are permanently displayed in the Minnesota Credit Union Network’s lobby as a tribute to those who have dedicated time and energy to building the credit union movement.